Last updated October 19, 2020
EdM Education and Technology, University at Buffalo, 2008. GPA 4.0.
BA Studio Art/Photography, University at Buffalo, 1987. GPA 3.6, Morrison Scholarship.
Canisius College, 1982–1984. Biology; Honors Program; President’s Scholarship.
University at Buffalo, 1999–present. Instructional Support Technician, Department of Art.
Canisius College, 2011–2020. Adjunct Professor of Digital Media, Department of Communication Studies.
NYS Education Department, 1999–2015. Summer School of Media Arts adjudicator of photography & digital art.
Licata Design, 1987–present. Owner, graphic design and photography studio, technology & design consultant.
Elected Leadership Positions
Membership Development Officer, UUP Buffalo Center Chapter, 2020; Executive Board Member and Professional Delegate, 2015–present.
Convener, SUNY University Faculty Senate Campus Governance Leaders, 2018–2019.
Chair, Professional Staff Senate, 2015–2019.
Chair, Engagement Subcommittee of the UB Stewardship Committee, 2015–2019.
Service to the UB Department of Art
Instructional Support Technician: Service to 12 faculty teaching 45 courses in Emerging Practices and Graphic Design, and to other departmental faculty and staff involved in the research and production of digital art, design, media, and performance.
- Maintain continual infrastructure improvements to maximize comfort, safety, and function of learning spaces, computer labs, and an audio/visual production facility.
- Deploy and maintain hardware, software and digital fabrication technologies, including 3D printing, UV printing, embroidery and vinyl cutting.
- Conduct departmental faculty and staff equipment purchases and ongoing hardware and software recommendation and support.
Digital Lab Administrator: Recommendation and supervision of art/design making technologies and print services.
Instructional Service: Develop curriculum and deliver Art 250—Intro to Digital Practices, Art 320—Web Design and Art 350—2D Animation.
Web Content Creator: Collaborate on the creation of content and social media activity on department website, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- PLATFORM: A Socially Engaged Design Lab, develop and oversee technical operations, 2018
- WordCamp Buffalo: Web Development and Design Conference co-organizer, 2016, 2018.
- BrandHack, Hosted the multi-school Annual event, presented by AAF Buffalo, 2017, 2018.
- Last Fridays at 1 Digital Workshop Series, Initiated and presented, 2014.
- ARTbus, Organized trips for students to NYC Museums, 2011, 2014, 2018; and DC, 2015.
- Web Design Workshop, Initiated and coordinated the offering of a 1-credit course, Spring 2012.
- Practical Multimedia Workshop Series, Initiated and supervised the 10 evening workshop series for staff, grad and undergrad students on Web, video, DVD, imaging, animation, blogging and podcasting, 2006.
- Communication Design Student Portfolio Review Panel member, 1999–2006.
- NASAD Accreditation Review, Coordinated tours and presentations for open house events, 2000.
- Recruiting service: coordinate the annual Art and Media Studies Day with the Department of Media Study.
- Recruiting service: conduct departmental tours for prospective undergrads.
- Served on the search committee for the Art Resources Manager, 2017.
- Collaborated with UBMicro to create a custom recommendations page for VS students, 2010, 2011.
- Collaborate with other techs and the Facilities Committee in the acquisition and allocation of assets to maximize efficiencies and cost savings within each program area, the ARC, BAP, and MRC, 2006–present.
- Drafted the Performance Program and acted as member of the search committee for Media Assistant, 2007.
- Successfully advocated for the creation of a Facilities Committee, responsible for advising on departmental infrastructure and asset acquisition, 2006.
- Liaison with the School of Informatics for reciprocal course opportunities for our students, 2006.
- Member of the search committee for Assistant to the Chair position, 2003.
- Curator of the WNY High School Media Art Exhibit, through the Media Arts Teachers Association, March 2014.
- Co-curator of Do Ask Do Tell: Observations on Emotional Well Being, with the Student Wellness Team, 2008.
- Conceived and co-curated Terre Verte: Observations on Contemporary Environmental Issues, a juried exhibition of art and design, co-sponsored by ubArt and the UB Environmental Task Force, 2005.
Service to the University
Professional Staff Senate, Chair, 2017–2019, 2015–2017; Executive Senator 2014–2015, 2019–2021; Senator 2011–2013, 2013–2015; Executive Committee Alternate 2013–2014; Sustainable Living Committee member 2013–present.
- Attended Fall, Winter and Spring Plenaries as a Campus Governance Leader.
- Attended SUNY Voices Conferences.
- Attended UB Council Meetings.
- Attended semesterly shared governance meetings with the president and selected senior leaders.
- Attended senior leadership retreats hosted by the president or provost.
- Attended State of the University Addresses.
- Member of platform party during undergraduate commencement ceremonies.
- Co-Chair of UB Campus Governance Leaders group.
- Alternating supervisor (yearly, with FS Chair) of shared governance office staff assistant.
- Attended Faculty Senate Executive Committee meetings as a non-voting member.
- Served as a member of all PSS committees.
Search Committee for UB Sustainability, 2017.
Search Committee for the UB Office of University Shared Governance Assistant, 2015, 2017.
Stewardship Committee, Chair of the Engagement Subcommittee, 2015–present.
FACT2 Task Group – Mobile Technology in Teaching or Learning, SUNY Task Force member, 2014–2016.
Digital Challenges, an initiative of UB Libraries and UB IT, committee member, 2014–2015.
WNY Mobile Device User/Developer Alliance, co-founder and acting director, 2013.
CAS Web Standards Committee, 2013.
UB Communicators Network, member, 2011–present.
UB Green Office, Sustainability Roundtable, 2012.
UB Art Galleries assist with audio and video installation, 2009, 2010.
Collaborative and Learning Space Task Group member, 2008.
Teaching & Learning with Technology Task Group, member, 2008.
Environmental Task Force; Paper Usage chair, 2005–2009; Greenspace Improvement member, 2006.
Apple Certified Training: Final Cut Pro 101; and Mac OS X v10.4 for Tech Professionals/Support Essentials, coordinator and host, 2007.
CASet Educational Technology Advisory Group member, spring 2007.
Apple Computer Seminars, including “Fast Facts” and the 2005 UB IT Fair, coordinator and host, 1999–present.
Apple Certified Training: Mac OS X Server Administration, coordinator and host, March 2005.
Professional Staff Senate Computing Concerns Committee member, 2000–2003.
Macromedia Director 8 presentation for CIT 2000, coordinator and host, 2000.
CASet Search Committee for Technician position member, spring 2000.
Service to the SUNY University Faculty Senate
Campus Governance Leaders Group, elected convener, 2018-2019.
Campus Governance Leaders Group, member, 2015-present.
Governance Committee, member, 2016-present.
Service to Canisius College
Instructor: DMA 201—Introduction to Digital Media
Instructor: DMA 205—Digital Graphics
Instructor: DMA 206—Digital Multimedia
Instructor: DMA 212—2D Graphics
Service to the Community
WNY Media Arts Teachers Association Student Media Show, coordinator and host, 2006–present.
Lexington Real Foods Community Co-op, Inc., President of the Board of Directors, 1996–2003; Vice President 2019–present; Member of the Board, 1991–2003; Web master, 2003–2012.
Society for the Appreciation of Guitar Quartets, Board of Directors member, 1991–2000.
Photo Composition Workshop, CEPA Gallery, Summer 2020.
SUNY VOICES, Presenter: “Lessons in Process: ‘It’s not just about transparency, it’s about #SharedGovernance’, with Dr. Philip Glick, co-presenter, March 2018.
SUNY VOICES, Presenter: “The Role of Professional Staff in Shared Governance”, November 2018.
Basic SLR Workshop, CEPA Gallery, Spring 2015.
Point-and-Shoot Photography Workshop, CEPA Gallery, Spring 2014.
Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign Training, Hodgson Russ, Buffalo, NY, 2013.
Media and Cognition, Designs on eLearning Conference, State College, PA, 2008.
Internet Security and Privacy, UUP Retiree Luncheon, May 2007.
Teaching & Learning with Digital Media, Media Arts Teachers Association, Jan. 2007.
Mac OS X for Newbies—An intro to the new operating system for Art faculty and campus personnel, April 2003.
Image, Video and Web Production for K–12 Instructors, Kenmore School District, Dec. 2001–Feb. 2002.
Introduction to Photoshop 6, UB Enrichment Program, summer 2001.
Web Design and Multimedia, UB Enrichment Program, spring 2001.
Photoshop 5.5, Cheektowaga Central Schools, January 2001.
Desktop Publishing and Web Design, UB Enrichment Program, spring 2000.
Intermediate Photoshop, CEPA Gallery, spring 2000.
Introduction to Digital Art, UB Enrichment Program, fall 1999.
Beginning Photoshop, CEPA Gallery, fall 1999.
Art and the Digital Toolbox, Media Art Teachers Association Regional Student Show, spring 1998.
Digital Art, New York State Art Teachers Association WNY Conference, co-presented with Gary Stanton, 1997.
Adobe Photoshop, Watkins Glen Cultural Arts Festival, co-presented with Jennifer Manning, 1998 and 1999.
Professional Memberships and Activities
High Ed Web Professional Association member, 2013–2014.
UB Interactive Tools Development Group member, 2003–present.
AppleSeed Beta Testing Program participant for Mac OS X Server, 1999–present.
Media Art Teachers Association Web designer and WNY chapter member, 1999–present.
Erie 1 BOCES Graphic Design Technology Advisory Committee member, 2010–2012.
O/N BOCES Digital Media Advisory Committee member, 1999–2009.
Lewiston-Porter High School, corporate sponsor and guest lecturer, Digital Imaging Program, 1993–2003.
Avalon, an early interactive bulletin board (BBS), co-administrator of the Arts area, 1994–1995.
Awards & Certifications
Apple Certified Pro — Final Cut Pro 6 — Level 1, Apple Inc., 2008
Apple Product Professional, Apple Computer, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007.
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator, Apple Computer, 2003.
Adobe Photoshop 5.5 Certification, Brainbench, 2000.
QuarkXPress 4.1 Master Certification, Brainbench, 2000.
Macintosh Power User Master Certification, Brainbench, 1999.
United University Professions Individual Development Award, to attend Social Media Business Summit, Feb 2012.
United University Professions Individual Development Award, to attend XHTML & CSS training, May 2008.
United University Professions Individual Development Award, to attend CIT 2006, May 2006.
United University Professions Individual Development Award, to attend Macworld Expo San Francisco, 2001.
CAS Educational Technology Grant, Second Round. Co-written with Prof. Paul Vanouse, to purchase Macromedia software, fall 1999.
High Ed Web Professionals Annual Conference, Online, 2020.
High Ed Web Professionals Annual Conference, Portland, 2014.
High Ed Web Professionals Annual Conference, Buffalo, 2013.
Blast Theory Workshop, UB Technē, 2013.
UB Communicators Webinar Series: Web Analytics, 2013.
Social Media Business Summit, Canisius College, 2012, 2013.
iOS Native Development Seminar, Canisius College, 2011.
What’s New in CS5, Adobe, Inc. & UB Micro, 2010.
Final Cut Server and Podcasting, Apple, Inc. and Canisius College, 2010.
Web Design with XHTML, HTML, and CSS Level 2, Campus Linc, 2009.
Apple Fast Facts: client management, account planning, & system management best practices, RIT, 2008.
Adobe Flash ActionScript 3 Training, Campus Linc, 2008.
Apple Training: Final Cut Pro 101, University at Buffalo, 2007.
Apple Training: Mac OS X 10.4 for Tech Professionals/Mac OS X Support Essentials, University at Buffalo, 2007.
Conference on Instructional Technology 2006, Fredonia, NY, May 2006.
Educational Gaming Conference, UB ETC, February 2006.
Fall 2005 Colloquium Series, UB Center for Cognitive Science, fall 2005
Apple Mac OS X and OS X Server Essentials Training, Buffalo State College, June 2003.
Macromedia Flash, Design and ActionScript Training, UB Ed Tech Center, May 2003.
Supporting Mac OS X, University at Buffalo, June 2002.
Macworld Conference & Expo, 1993, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001.
Apple QuickTime 5 Seminar, University at Buffalo, June 2001.
Introduction to Mac OS X, Rochester, NY, May 2001.
OS X Seminar, University at Buffalo, February, April 2001.
Apple Technology Forum, University at Buffalo, July, December 2000.
Supporting Mac OS 9, University at Buffalo, March 2000.
Apple ”Master the Web” Seminar, March 2000.
The Effects of Digital Media on the Development of Cognitive Function, Ed.M Thesis Project, spring 2008.
Lessons in Process: “It’s not just about transparency, it’s about #SharedGovernance”, chapter in Shared Governance in Higher Education, Volume 3. Dr. Philip Glick, co-author, Dr. Sharon Cramer, editor. SUNY Press, In Press (2020).
Imagine Buffalo: Designing to Live Sustainably, Video Documentary, Buffalo, 2013.
Media and Cognition, Proceedings of the conference: Designs on eLearning, State College, PA, 2008.
Art & the Digital Toolbox, Media Art Teachers Association Newsletter, winter 1998.
Perspective, Campos Group newsletter interview about emerging digital practices, 1995.
The Buffalo Guitar Quartet in Venezuela, video documentary for Rich Kelman, WGRZ-TV News Special, March 1992.
Foreign Bodies, Photos of Europe, Campos Photography Center, 1991.
SustainABILITY: an art exhibition, UB Department of Art Project Space, 2017.
The Children’s Table, UB Department of Visual Studies Gallery, 2007.
Visual Epistemologies: The Department of Visual Studies Faculty Exhibition, The UB Anderson Gallery, 2011.